It’s been a busy time for the EFTM garage, we’ve just seen off BMW’s little hatch, the 116i. Now sits probably the German’s most popular variant, the 3 series. On offer this week is the 328i Sport Line. With surprising power and that familiar BMW drive, here is a quick overview of this executive compact sedan.
Make: BMW Model: 328i
Variant: Sport Line
Engine / Transmission: TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder petrol engine / 8-speed automatic.
Vital Stats: Power 180 kW @ 5,000 – 6,500 rpm / Torque: 350Nm @ 1,250 – 4,000 rpm
Fuel Economy: 6.3 l/ 100km
MRRP Price: $68,900 (plus on-roads)
BMW Efficient Dynamics Features:
- Auto Start/Stop function
- Brake Energy Regeneration
- Driving Experience Control incl. ECO PRO Mode
- Electric Power Steering with Servotronic
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
- Cruise control with brake function.
- Driver and front passenger airbags incl. occupant detector
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
- Park Distance Control (PDC) front and rear
- Side airbags for driver and front passenger
- Automatic tailgate opening via remote control
- Central locking with remote control
- Fog lights
- LED rear lights.
- Lights package
Options fitted to this vehicle
- Metallic paint – $1,415
- Interior trim, Fine Brushed Aluminium with high-gloss Black
- accent lines – $400
- Glass sunroof – $2,245
- Bi-Xenon headlights incl. headlight washer system – $1577
- Convenience telephony with extended Smartphone connectivity – $385
Sport Line Features
- 18” light-alloy wheels
- Ambience light switchable between orange and white
- BMW Sport seats
- Chrome pearl grey surrounds for centre console
- Exclusive high gloss black exterior trim
- Red stitch for leather steering wheel.
- Red detailed key ring
- Speedometer and rev counter with Red chronoscales
- Welcome lights with switchable colour
- “Sport”designation badge on exterior.
- “BMW Sport” door sill finishers in Aluminium
- Dakota leather upholstery
- Electric seat adjustment for front seats incl. memory function for driver’s seat
- Retractable front arm rest
- Lumbar support for driver and front passenger – electric
- Automatic air conditioning 2-zone
- AUX-IN connection
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 8.8”colour monitor
- Floor mats
- HiFi loud speaker system
- Interior and exterior mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle function
- Internet functionality
- Navigation System Professional
- On-board computer
- Sport leather steering wheel multifunction with
- gearshift paddles
- 40:20:40 split folding seats
Wow Factor: Striking, sophisticated design. Brilliant engineering that can be felt, the chassis control / balance is second to none.
Most Impressive: 328i TwinPower turbo four-cylinder is a cracker. Very swift acceleration. 0 – 100km/h in just under six seconds. Sounds nice too.
Not so impressive: Ride quality over the rough stuff degenerates badly. A Mazda 6 leaves it for dead in this department. Not sure the benefits of run flats outweigh this significant downside.