It’s been a busy time for the EFTM garage, we’ve just seen off BMW’s little hatch, the 116i. Now sits probably the German’s most popular variant, the 3 series. On offer this week is the 328i Sport Line. With surprising power and that familiar BMW drive, here is a quick overview of this executive compact sedan.
Make: BMW Model: 328i
Variant: Sport Line
Engine / Transmission: TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder petrol engine / 8-speed automatic.
Vital Stats: Power 180 kW @ 5,000 – 6,500 rpm / Torque: 350Nm @ 1,250 – 4,000 rpm
Fuel Economy: 6.3 l/ 100km
MRRP Price: $68,900 (plus on-roads)
BMW Efficient Dynamics Features:
- Auto Start/Stop function
- Brake Energy Regeneration
- Driving Experience Control incl. ECO PRO Mode
- Electric Power Steering with Servotronic
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
- Cruise control with brake function.
- Driver and front passenger airbags incl. occupant detector
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)
- Park Distance Control (PDC) front and rear
- Side airbags for driver and front passenger
- Automatic tailgate opening via remote control
- Central locking with remote control
- Fog lights
- LED rear lights.
- Lights package
Options fitted to this vehicle
- Metallic paint – $1,415
- Interior trim, Fine Brushed Aluminium with high-gloss Black
- accent lines – $400
- Glass sunroof – $2,245
- Bi-Xenon headlights incl. headlight washer system – $1577
- Convenience telephony with extended Smartphone connectivity – $385
Sport Line Features
- 18” light-alloy wheels
- Ambience light switchable between orange and white
- BMW Sport seats
- Chrome pearl grey surrounds for centre console
- Exclusive high gloss black exterior trim
- Red stitch for leather steering wheel.
- Red detailed key ring
- Speedometer and rev counter with Red chronoscales
- Welcome lights with switchable colour
- “Sport”designation badge on exterior.
- “BMW Sport” door sill finishers in Aluminium
- Dakota leather upholstery
- Electric seat adjustment for front seats incl. memory function for driver’s seat
- Retractable front arm rest
- Lumbar support for driver and front passenger – electric
- Automatic air conditioning 2-zone
- AUX-IN connection
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 8.8”colour monitor
- Floor mats
- HiFi loud speaker system
- Interior and exterior mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle function
- Internet functionality
- Navigation System Professional
- On-board computer
- Sport leather steering wheel multifunction with
- gearshift paddles
- 40:20:40 split folding seats
Wow Factor: Striking, sophisticated design. Brilliant engineering that can be felt, the chassis control / balance is second to none.
Most Impressive: 328i TwinPower turbo four-cylinder is a cracker. Very swift acceleration. 0 – 100km/h in just under six seconds. Sounds nice too.
Not so impressive: Ride quality over the rough stuff degenerates badly. A Mazda 6 leaves it for dead in this department. Not sure the benefits of run flats outweigh this significant downside.
Chris is EFTM’s Motoring Editor, driving everything from your entry level hatch to the latest Luxury cars through to the Rolls Royce.
He has been in the media for 20 years, produced three Olympic games broadcasts, attending Beijing 2008 & London 2012.
Strangely he owns a Toyota Camry Hybrid, he defiantly rejects the knockers.
Chris is married to Gillian and resides in Sydney’s North West. They have Sam the English Springer Spaniel and Felix the Burmese cat to keep them company, and recently welcomed baby Henry to the family.