As a Virgin Frequent Flyer I can tell you I’ve never had too much trouble with their iPhone app, using it mainly to check my points and upcoming flights – but it’s been in need of a revamp and in response to customer feedback – paired with the expectation of a modern airline app there’s a new one ready to download that’s ready to set the tone going forward.
Launched on Android today, with iOS updates coming tonight, there’s probably less functionality overall in the app, though Virgin Australia tell EFTM there’s likely to be a rapid roll out of new functionality after this soft launch.
In time, the current in-flight entertainment app, and flight specials app will all be integrated into this single app for Virgin Australia.
Initial functionality includes
- Retrieve and store upcoming bookings;
- Check-in for upcoming domestic and international flights;
- Access domestic boarding passes;
- Store domestic boarding passes or save to wallet;
- View Velocity Points balance and status credits; and
- Access the Digital Velocity Membership card.
While that rapid roll out will see all new features such as:
- Seat maps for managing seats and purchasing Economy X;
- Inflight Entertainment access;
- Flight Specials and Fare Alerts;
- One-touch check-in;
- Get instant notifications when it’s time to check-in;
- Guests who opt in to receive push notifications will receive alerts for check-in and boarding;
- Airport maps and lounge information; and
- Geolocations time to airport and gate.
One key new functionality is the use of smart logic to display information relevant to the flight for each passenger – similar to the Google Now cards on Android.
There are also new simple changes to the digital boarding pass to show updated gate information within the app without needing to re-issue the boarding pass.
Available now on Android and coming any moment on iOS.
Cover Photo courtesy of Daniel Kirby