It’s all about the artificial intelligence at LG, it’s in their best TVs this year and it’s in their latest smartphone too and the LG G7 ThinQ is coming to JB HiFi in June.
Announced in New York overnight, the LG G7 ThinQ looks like it will be a power packed device, but it’s the design that gets your attention – mainly because of the screen.
LG were really first to market with the “tall” screens we’re seeing today, but like other Android device manufacturers they’ve headed down the same path as Apple did with the iPhone X and introduced a notch at the top of the screen for the cameras and sensors.
Gorilla Glass 5 on the front and back make it both durable because of the quality of the glass compared to standard glass, however it also makes it easier to smash than metal or plastic backed phones. The design though stands out and looks pretty bloody nice.
The screen pushing edge to edge is 6.1 inches while still being a comfortable size for the hand.
Rated IP68 for water and dust resistance it’s got pretty much every feature any other phone could throw at it for competitive comparison.
Keeping LG’s smartphone camera credentials up, it still has the super wide angle rear lens while the ThinQ technology plays into the camera to help you get the best results.
There’s stickers using Face recognition, live photos and portrait mode too – so all the boxes are ticked here.
We’ll wait to test it before judgement, but the use of “AI” across the phone seems excessive, and perhaps not noticeable to the average punter – the question is, how would you ever know how much value it adds if it’s just doing it by default.
With Google Assistant on-board you can control all your smart home devices too with ease.
Available in June through JB Hi-Fi, pricing is not yet available.
All the Specifications:
· Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 Mobile Platform
· Display: 6.1-inch QHD+ 19.5:9 FullVision Super Bright Display (3120 x 1440 / 564ppi)
· Memory: LG G7 ThinQ: 4GB LPDDR4x RAM / 64GB UFS 2.1 ROM / MicroSD (up to 2TB)
– Rear Dual: 16MP Super Wide Angle (F1.9 / 107°) / 16MP Standard Angle (F1.6 / 71°)
– Front: 8MP Wide Angle (F1.9 / 80°)
· Battery: 3000mAh
· OS: Android 8.0 Oreo
· Size: 153.2 x 71.9 x 7.9mm
· Weight: 162g
· Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
· Others: Super Bright Display / New Second Screen / AI CAM / Super Bright Camera / Super Far Field Voice Recognition / Boombox Speaker / Google Lens / AI Haptic / Hi-Fi Quad DAC / DTS:X 3D Surround Sound / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / HDR10 / Google Assistant Key / Face Recognition / Fingerprint Sensor / Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 Technology / Wireless Charging / FM Radio