Battery tech is rapidly evolving, in fact anything regarding electricity is on a pathway to massive change. From solar panels to the electrification of vehicles, The Times They Are a-Changin as some bloke once sang.
But on a more relatable level there are massive changes taking place when it comes to an Aussie pastime, hitting the outdoors. The gear you can take along to a campsite or on a 4×4 trip is astounding these days. But of course, all of it requires reliable methods of powering and recharging. People often say they are going “off-gird”, based on what I see sometimes, some could power the grid!
This is where CTEK comes into play, a leading global brand in the care and maintenance of vehicle batteries. It has just launched updated products in Australia – the new D250SE and Smartpass 120S.
These new model upgrades have arrived to keep up with the advanced technology needs of Australia’s 4×4 off-roaders and adventurers.
For example, the new D250SE is the perfect tool for maximising weekend drives into the bush, camping with the family, or fishing with friends. It’s an on-board charging system capable of charging lithium (12V LiFePO4) batteries, in addition to regular and AGM battery types.
Major advantages benefits include:
- Flexible charging: an in-built temperature sensor compensates for hot or cold conditions, so batteries are fully charged in the shortest possible time without the risk of over or under charging. It has three specially developed charging modes: normal (14.4V), AGM (14.7V) and lithium (12V LiFePO4).
- Direct connection for solar power: input for connecting solar panels without the need for a regulator. It also features a Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT) to get the maximum power from solar panels.
- Smart alternator compatibility: Smart alternators deliver a variable output and are shut off when they’re not needed. The D250SE will still operate even when there is low alternator output and maintain a stable output of up to 20A to fully charge the battery in the shortest time.
The Smartpass 120S has also evolved and is now smart alternator compatible. It separates vital power systems automatically via a 120A power management system. Essentially it intelligently flicks back and forth between the starter battery, the service battery and on-board equipment
- Smart alternator compatibility: continuing to deliver power to the service battery even when there is low alternator output.
- Current source priority: supplies power to critical equipment directly from the alternator when the engine is running. This means critical functions like starters, radios, emergency lights and communication systems always have the power they need and take priority over non-critical functions.
- Start assistance uses power from the service battery to help get the engine started if the starter battery is flat.
Robert Briggs, CTEK’s Asia Pacific Director of Sales and Marketing said, “Both of these unique products have been developed to work as standalone units or together as a complete system. Combined together, this powerful, safe and flexible charging solution gives you the ability to manage and control your power more effectively,”
“The traditional outdoor adventure has evolved. We no longer need to go without creature comforts when out on road-trips and family camping adventures; technology allows us to keep both vehicle and electricals charged, for the most advanced, versatile, and comfortable set up. Australia is the perfect place for outdoor adventures, so we’re delighted to bring these new, industry-leading products to the country.”
Both products come with a two-year warranty and are available from Repco.
D250SE – $499
Smartpass 120S – $530