Alongside their traditional laptop and tablet announcements, Lenovo has also unveiled a new phone to celebrate 30 years of the ThinkPad with the ThinkPhone.
The ThinkPhone is being marketed as ‘the best companion to a ThinkPad’ and offers a variety of integrations that will work seamlessly with a ThinkPad laptop, as well as sharing design cues from the iconic ThinkPad range.
To start with, the ThinkPhone will be just as tough as the travel-ready ThinkPad laptops with Mil-spec (MIL STD 810H) certification and an ‘aramid fiber’ weave which is stronger than steel on the rear to mimic the look of the ThinkPad line. There’s also IP68 certification to round it off.
The iconic red ThinkPad TouchPoint is included with a splash of red on the customisable Red Key on the side of the phone.
Spec wise, the ThinkPhone includes a Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor running the show and there will be multiple memory configs with either 8 or 12GB of RAM and up 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB of storage. A 6.6-inch FHD+ resolution pOLED display will be on the front and a 5,000 mAh battery will power you through 36 hours of battery life with 68W wired and 15W wireless charging available.
A 50MP Ultra-Pixel Camera is being brought for the main camera, with 13MP ultrawide and 2MP depth camera rounding out the triple rear camera array, with a 32MP selfie camera on the front.
The features of the ThinkPhone will offer integrations with ThinkPad laptops, with the ‘Think 2 Think connectivity powered by Ready For’. The Ready For software has been showing up on Motorola phones of late, and is quite useful, however the Think2Think experience will be aimed specifically at ThinkPad laptops and include
- Instant Connect: Phone and PC seamlessly discover when nearby and connect over WiFi.
- Unified Clipboard: Seamlessly transfer copied text or recent photos, scanned documents and videos between devices by pasting into any app on the destination device.
- Unified Notifications: Phone notifications instantly appear on the Windows Action Center. Clicking a notification auto-launches the corresponding phone app on the PC’s screen.
- File Drop: Easily drag and drop files between ThinkPhone and PC.
- App Streaming: Open any Android application directly on a PC.
- Advanced Webcam: Take advantage of the powerful ThinkPhone cameras and AI capabilities, seamlessly using it as your webcam for all your video calls.
- Instant Hotspot: Connect to the internet through one click, directly from the PC to leverage the ThinkPhone’s 5G connectivity.
Pricing and launch dates for the phone have not been announced, but the ThinkPhone WILL be coming to Australia, as well as the US, Europe, Latin America, Middle East and select countries across Asia in the coming months
EFTM’s Coverage of CES 2023 is made possible by the ongoing support of our regular advertisers and supporters such as Arlo, Belkin, Oppo, Netgear, JBL and Trend Micro, and by additional support from Samsung, LG, Hisense, TCL, BMW and Boost Mobile.