The most anticipated Android phone of all time (of all time!) has officially been unveiled in Australia this morning. Excitingly, the Samsung Galaxy S III will be available to buy from midday today.
Vodafone was the first telco to announce availability, launching the phone at 11am this morning online, or in store from midday. The phone (in both 16GB and 32GB versions) will be available on Vodafone on 24 month contracts, with prices starting from $49 a month for the phone, calls, texting and data, and ranging all the way up to Vodafone’s $99 Infinite plan. For the first 12 months, the telco is also doubling the amount of data bundled with the phone.
Telstra will also have the phone from midday, but at limited locations:
· Sydney – Telstra Store, 400 George St and Telstra Store, 500 Oxford St, Bondi Junction
· Melbourne — Androidland, 246 Bourke Street, Telstra Store, 242 Exhibition St and Telstra Store, 171-175 Maroondah Hwy, Eastland.
· Brisbane – 275 George Street
· Perth – Telstra Store, 667-669 Hay Street
· Hobart – Telstra Store, 44 – 46 Elizabeth Street
· Adelaide – Telstra Store, 50 Grenfell Street & Telstra Store, 33 Rundle Mall
· ACT – Telstra Store, Westfield Belconnen
Telstra will have the phone available for $3 a month on a $79 plan, or $13 a month on a $59 plan over 24 months. Only the white version is available at launch, with the blue version coming later. And only 16GB will be available straight up.
Optus completes the midday launch lineup, and has opted to bundle Qantas frequent flyer points with the plan, offering six points for every dollar spent on the plan for the life of the plan. Plans start at $47 a month including handset repayments.
Samsung will be selling the unlocked phone for $899 outright.