As far as large luxury sedans go, the Chrysler 300 series does it pretty darn well. Well how about chucking an enormously large capacity V8 under the hood? This week EFTM has in the garage the SRT8 Core, a stripped back, financially more accessible variant of the flagship SRT8.
Engine / Transmission: 6.4L V8 petrol engine / 5-Speed automatic transmission
Vital Stats: Power 347 kW @ 6,100rpm / Torque: 631Nm @ 4,150rpm
Fuel Economy: 13.0 l/ 100km
MRRP Price: $56,000 (plus on-roads)
- SRT Telemetry via 8.4 inch touch screen
- SRT body kit
- Standard cruise control
- 6-speaker Alpine sound system.
- 20-inch polished aluminium wheels
- Automatic headlamps (ON/OFF)
- Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with auto-levelling
- Front and rear fog lamps
- LED daytime running lamps
- Rain-sensing automatic wiper system
- Dual rear exhaust
- Automatic Dual-Zone Temperature Control
- Steering wheel mounted cruise control
- Three 12-volt power outlets located in the front cubby bin, centre console, and rear of centre console
- Cloth sports seats
- 8-way power driver and front-passenger seats with 4-way power lumbar adjust
- 60/40 split-folding rear bench with armrest
- Shift Knob – Leather-wrapped
- Steering Column – Power tilt/telescoping
- Steering Wheel – Leather-wrapped with audio, trip computer, EVIC, voice recognition and cruise controls
- Windows – Power with driver’s and front-passenger one-touch auto-up
- Reactive Head Restraints
- Air Bags – Advanced multi-stage driver and front-passenger
- Supplemental front seat thorax side air bags
- Air Bags – Supplemental side-curtain for front and rear outboard occupants
- Driver knee air bag
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) – Includes brake assist, rain brake support, ready alert braking and Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
- All-speed Traction Control (ASTC)
- Electronic Roll Mitigation
- Parksense® – Front and rear park assistance system(4) with sensors and audio-visual indicators
- Keyless Enter’N Go
- Premium Security Alarm
Wow Factor: Epic road presence, thunderous V8 soundtrack. Red SRT badging that announces to the world your engine is big, real big.
Most Impressive: Can’t look past the 6.4-litres of sheer American muscle under the bonnet. Cheaper than entry level HSV’s.
Not so impressive: An irresistible urge to plant the right foot endears the SRT8 to oil companies. It may be $10,000 cheaper than a fully fledged SRT8, but surely a reversing camera could have survived the cuts?