The Holden Barina is a car that hardly inspires thoughts of rapid cornering, blistering acceleration, race tuned suspension and a hardcore engine note. But what about when a RS badge and turbo are bolted on? Well you still get none of the above, but what you do get is the fastest Barina ever. But if the Barina RS was a Chili pepper it would rank only slightly above mild
Variant: Barina RS
Engine / Transmission: 1.4-litre DOHC 4-cylinder iTi turbo petrol. 6-speed automatic.
Vital Stats: Power 103kW @4,900rpm / 200Nm @1,850 rpm
Holden Claimed Fuel Economy: 6.5l / 100km
EFTM Claimed Fuel Economy: 8.1l / 100km
MRRP Price: $23,190 (Plus on roads)
Options fitted to test car
Orange Rock (Prestige Paint) – $550
Exterior Features Highlights
- 17” x 6.5” alloy wheels
- Front fog lights
- Exposed halogen headlights
- Exterior chrome highlights
- Black power side mirrors
- Front and rear sports fascia, side skirts
- Hidden rear door handles
- Sports rear roof spoiler
- Rear parking sensors
- Sports suspension
Interior Features Highlights
- Cruise control
- Trip computer
- Leather wrap gear shifter
- Leather wrap steering wheel with RS badge
- Multifunction steering wheel mounted controls
- Holden MyLink (7” colour touchscreen) with Bluetooth® connectivity and audio streaming
- Embedded apps (Pandora®, Stitcher®, Tunein Radio® and BringGo® navigation.
- USB input
- 6 speaker sound system
- Manual air conditioning
- Three cup holders
- Power windows all round. Driver’s auto up and down
- Leather appointed RS sports seat trim
- Manual 6-way adjustment of driver’s seat, 4-way for passenger
- 60/40 folding rear seats
- Heatable front seats
- Tyre inflator kit or full size steel spare as a no cost option
- Digital speedometer
- Automatic headlights
- Motorcycle-inspired instrument cluster
- Alloy sports pedals
- RS sports floor mats
- Auxiliary power socket
- Dual glovebox
- 5-star ANCAP rating
- Front and side impact airbags for driver and front passenger
- Side curtain airbags
- 3 rear child restraint points
- Engine immobiliser
- Front ventilated disc brakes. Rear solid disc
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
Most powerful Barina ever. Nice handling with suspension that sits 10mm lower than standard. There’s enough enthusiasm from under the bonnet to keep things interesting.
Looks the goods, pleasant interior with an above average sound system. Holden’s MyLink is excellent.
Not So Impressive
Certainly not a genuine “Hot Hatch”. Ok acceleration from a standing start, but mainly just all noise at higher speeds. The automatic gear box $2200 price hike puts it very close to serious performance hatches. Although the Barina RS does score 5 doors. Would love to see paddle shifters or even a “Sports” mode.
Chris is EFTM’s Motoring Editor, driving everything from your entry level hatch to the latest Luxury cars through to the Rolls Royce.
He has been in the media for 20 years, produced three Olympic games broadcasts, attending Beijing 2008 & London 2012.
Strangely he owns a Toyota Camry Hybrid, he defiantly rejects the knockers.
Chris is married to Gillian and resides in Sydney’s North West. They have Sam the English Springer Spaniel and Felix the Burmese cat to keep them company, and recently welcomed baby Henry to the family.