Apple has been a long-time supporter of the global fight against AIDS with its partnership with Product (RED) on hardware such as the iPod going back many years. Today, CEO Tim Cook announced the company’s biggest fundraising push yet with the participation of the online and retail stores also.
After eight years of fundraising via the Product (RED) devices, Apple is really stepping things up a gear in 2014, for the next two weeks there are a huge range of ways you can contribute to AIDS research and the goal of an AIDS-free generation.
From today, through until December 7, you’ll find a whole bunch of apps with exclusive content, and every time you make purchases of these Product (RED) apps or an exclusive in-app purchase the proceeds go to the Global Fund.
Additionally, On Monday, 1 December — World AIDS Day—Apple will donate a portion of every sale at Apple’s retail and online stores to the Global Fund to fight AIDS.
To put this in perspective – check out the list Apple released of participating App inclusions:
- Angry Birds players can perfect their bird-flinging with (RED)’s Mighty Feathers and challenge themselves to a bonus golden egg level.
- Bubble Witch 2 Saga offers new (PRODUCT)RED levels across all 17 episodes of the game. Gold bar currency purchases will be donated to (RED).
- CSR Racing delivers new in-game thrills with the highly anticipated Mercedes Benz-AMG GT.
- Clash of Clans warriors can prepare for battle with special edition (PRODUCT)RED gems and display a (RED) badge of honour on the village’s town hall.
- Clear’s users can perfect their organisational skills with a new (PRODUCT)RED theme which appears automatically with all new downloads.
- Cut the Rope 2 unveils a wide selection of (PRODUCT)RED items including a new red hat, red touch print, red balloons and a red ginger cookie.
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush reveals a new Lifeguard minion that helps players boost their banana collection skills by 200 percent.
- DJay 2’s spin tables turn (RED) and offer DJs a special sound pack.
- FarmVille 2: Country Escape players can “Roll out the RED Carpet” and purchase limited-time items such as the Cozy Cow, St. Bernard and more.
- FIFA 15 Ultimate Team players can compete in a (RED) Tournament and Team of the Week event. All winners will be awarded football superstar and (RED) Ambassador Rafa Marquez.
- Frozen Free Fall unveils a magical new (RED) Challenge in the Kingdom of Arendelle, and offers an exclusive combined offer of 1 power-up, 1 snowball and 3 lives.
- GarageBand® users can now purchase an exclusive collection of 300 guitar, bass, synth and drum loops to create even more amazing music.
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’s aspiring celebrity players can treat themselves to (PRODUCT)RED items including (BEATS)RED Solo2 headphones. Kris Jenner, the first family member to join Kim’s in-app world, will make her in-game debut on 1 December.
- Heads Up! competition heats up with an exclusive new deck featuring (RED) words.
- The Human Body debuts the Immune System feature, educating users on how the body fights pathogens. The accompanying handbook features a new section on HIV/AIDS.
- Kitchen Stories Cookbook will offer a special-edition holiday recipe pack, featuring dishes from renowned chefs Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, Luke Holden and Michael Lomonaco.
- Monument Valley offers a whole new chapter of Ida’s Journey, marking the final new feature of the game.
- Over customers have access to a wide selection of (PRODUCT)RED fonts and inspiring artwork, specially created by six artists. Users can share photos with the (RED) brackets overlay to help spread awareness.
- Paper by FiftyThree enthusiasts can enjoy a new (PRODUCT)RED Essentials Pack including Sketch, Outline, Write, Colour and Mixer tools.
- Rayman Fiesta Run introduces a new (RED) edition to their wacky Fiesta world, and players can purchase a pack of three new costumes for Rayman, Globox and Teensy characters.
- Star Walk 2 users can learn more about Mars with the comprehensive new RED Planet feature.
- Sims FreePlay features a special community challenge that unlocks various rewards, and players can purchase limited-edition (PRODUCT)RED items such as a swimming pool, party plane and piñata.
- Threes! turns (RED) with a limited-edition (PRODUCT)RED theme.
- Toca Boca paints Toca Town (RED)! Kids can discover new (RED) diamonds, sample (RED) ice cream in the app and look for other surprises throughout the game.
Trev is a Technology Commentator, Dad, Speaker and Rev Head.
He produces and hosts two popular podcasts, EFTM and Two Blokes Talking Tech. He also appears on over 50 radio stations across Australia weekly, and is the resident Tech Expert on Channel 9’s Today Show each day and appears regularly on A Current Affair.
Father of three, he is often found down in his Man Cave.