The UBD K8500 is not a street directory, it’s the first 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray player to go on sale in Australia, hitting our stores many months before the Panasonic 4K Blu Ray Player which we won’t see until September – but wow, the price.
Samsung have priced this bad-boy at $599, a fantastic price given it’s a first of its kind technology which normally attracts a strong premium – although, you could argue it is doing just that given a standard Blu Ray player is around $100.
So you’ve got to stump up the cash? Well, at least you can finally see every pixel of your big-screen 4K TV in use to its full potential.
You should sit back and see incredible picture quality, and for those buying a HDR capable TV in 2016, the UBD K8500 is HDR ready too.
“Samsung is delighted to be the very first to bring to the Australian market, an entirely new home theatre platform that will set the benchmark for home entertainment in this country,” said Carl Rose, Vice President, Consumer Electronics, Samsung. “With stunning UHD 4K resolution, Samsung’s Ultra HD Blu-ray Player offers up to four times the resolution of conventional Blu-ray players.
“Samsung is committed to providing the best possible technology so our customers can enjoy the highest standards of Ultra HD content, whether the format is digital or in the form of Blu-ray discs,” Rose added.
You’ll find it in-store now at around $599.
Here’s Samsung’s own list of key features for the UBD K8500:
- Incredible Cinema Quality at Home: With HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology, the Ultra HD Blu-ray player puts the movie set in your living room, delivering dynamic Ultra High Definition content in exceptional quality on Samsung’s HDR-capable SUHD TVs. Experience sharp contrasts and brightness with deeper blacks and brighter whites. HDR content will be available in Australia from May 2016.
- Enjoy More Vivid and Breathtaking Colour: The Ultra HD Blu-ray player offers twice the colour range and up to 64 times the colour expressions of Samsung’s existing conventional Blu-ray players on Samsung’s HDR-capable SUHD TVs.
- Bring Your TV to Life with UHD Upscaling:The Ultra HD Blu-ray player lets you upscale all your content into higher definition video for display on UHD TVs, giving you crystal-clear images and great resolution. Now you can enjoy your favourite movies in an immersive and quality viewing experience.
- Outstanding 4K Streaming Service:Stream some of the latest 4K movies to your living room on demand, and access content from online providers such as Netflix as well as your favourite offline shows, by connecting your Ultra HD Blu-ray player to your home internet network.
- The Ultimate Universal Disc Player:The Ultra HD Blu-ray player has outstanding compatibility, letting you play the CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs that you have collected over the years.
- Elegant and Modern Curved Design:Sleek and modern design to look beautiful in any Australian home and complement Samsung’s SUHD TV range. With a unique brushed design, Samsung’s Ultra HD Blu-ray player gives your living room a modern finishing touch
Trev is a Technology Commentator, Dad, Speaker and Rev Head.
He produces and hosts two popular podcasts, EFTM and Two Blokes Talking Tech. He also appears on over 50 radio stations across Australia weekly, and is the resident Tech Expert on Channel 9’s Today Show each day and appears regularly on A Current Affair.
Father of three, he is often found down in his Man Cave.