You thought you were busy today, oh and you think your weekend of shopping was a nightmare because of Parking – well, spare a thought for the boffins in charge of keeping eBay.com.au working tonight at 9pm. That’s going to be the busiest 15 minutes for eBay this year.
In fact today, December 11, looks like being the biggest day ever, with predictions that 2.7 million people will visit the website looking for things to buy, more than half of them for gifts this Christmas.
And to put eBay as a site in perspective, stop thinking second hand items for auction, think brand new retail – 92% of items sold today will be brand new.
There are 92 million items on the site, with 5 gifts being sold every second across teh site.
1.8million of those visitors will use their mobile phone, with 3 of the 5 gifts bought being purchased using the mobile site.
Here’s some predictions from eBay:
- An electronics item to sell every second
- A piece of jewellery to sell every 3 seconds
- A toy to sell every 3 seconds
- A health and beauty item to sell every 3 seconds
- A pet care item to sell every 9 seconds
- An Apple product to sell every 60 seconds
- A Star Wars item to sell every 60 seconds
And if you think your wife shops a lot, check if you live in one of the “Most Active Post Codes”:
- Toowoomba – QLD
- Werribee – VIC
- Liverpool – NSW
- Mackay – QLD
- Truganina – VIC