Anyone who has driven a Mazda MX-5 knows why they long ago reached cult status. That go-kart like drive, close to the ground exhilaration and overall human-machine connection was really nailed by Mazda. To celebrate 30 years of an icon the Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary Edition has been revealed at the Chicago Auto Show.
Over that time more than 1 million units have landed in driveways so Mazda has added some icing on the cake. A new exclusive colour, ‘Racing Orange’ has been created along with unique forged alloy wheels. Just 3,000 hard-top and soft-top special edition 2.0L Roadster GT based MX-5’s will be built, but us Aussies will score just 30 on a first in best dressed basis. No word on pricing just yet.
Other key highlights include:
- Racing Orange body colour
- RAYS forged alloys wheels (RAYS ZE40 RS30)
- “30th Anniversary” build plate ornament (with serial number)
- Colour scheme with orange accents
(brake calipers, vent surround, seat piping and stitch, steering wheel stitching, door trim stitching, dashboard decoration panel stitching, and shift / parking lever stitching)
- Alcantara® material (door trim, dashboard decoration panel and seat centre)
- RECARO seats
- Bilstein dampers
- Brembo front brake calipers (orange painted)
- NISSIN rear brake calipers (orange painted)