Where do I begin. Wow. Sometimes a product announcement is meh. Other times it is interesting – then there are the wow moments, and this is one of them – the all new GoPro Hero8.
This isn’t a wow specifically over the product specifications, though they are great. This is a wow because it’s an “about time” moment where finally GoPro are shaking their “action” branding for a more wholistic approach to videography in 2019.
First and foremost, this is a GoPro, it will do all the action camera stuff you want, and better than ever with almost every feature improved.
But it’s an all new body. The Hero 8 may look like the Hero 5, 6 & 7, but it’s thinner, has a thinner lens bump and the whole side is now an openable compartment for a very specific reason.
Mods. You can add stuff to this like never before. Why? Vlogging.
GoPros are great for recording point of view video content. But they suck at audio and also being held camera to holder.
Enter the Hero 8 and this thing has epic everything. The sound is great, but add on the “media mod” and you’re attaching a display to see the framing and a light to ensure viewers can see the Vlogger.
With the Media Mod frame on the camera, you can insert a 3.5mm external microphone, and if you use something like the Rode Wireless Go, there is a cold shoe to attach it too. That’s if the embedded shotgun microphone isn’t doing it for you.
The camera itself has next level image stabilisation, a new approach to labelling the shots and the universal mounting teeth are built in – no need for a frame around the camera.
Here’s some Baseball on the weekend with helmet mounted GoPro Hero 8 – looks good!
So there’s a new Hero Black, there’s some epic mods for it, but there’s something else.
The GoPro Max is a 360 degree camera that you will never hear advertised in that way. The Max allows you to record what you’re doing and what you’re seeing, to later edit back where the viewer actually looks in your edited shots. Choose the front camera, rear camera, a side shot or whatever you need to tell the story – it’s ALL recorded!
GoPro founder Nick Woodman is encouraged by what he sees: “It’s been 15 years since the first GoPro camera, and from the start, we’ve been about enabling people to share their passions whether they’re fuelled by adrenaline or artistry,”
“HERO8 Black, the Mods and MAX redefine what’s possible with a camera.”
Here’s how GoPro outline the features of both Models.
Key Features of the $599.95 AUD HERO8 Black:
- Streamlined Design – Frameless mounting with built-in folding mounting fingers, more pocketable and 14% lighter. The frameless design also makes changing batteries and SD cards even faster; plus, the lens is now 2x more impact resistant.
- HERO8 Black Mods – Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than they ever imagined with quick-loading accessories that bring flashes, microphones, LCD screens and more to HERO8 Black.
- HyperSmooth 2.0 – Improved overall baseline performance and dramatically improved stabilisation in pitch-axis movement. HyperSmooth 2.0 also features a new Boost mode that cranks up the stabilisation when desired. Plus, HyperSmooth 2.0 works in all resolutions and frame rates and features in-app horizon levelling.
- TimeWarp 2.0 – Automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Tap to slow down to real time and again to speed back up.
- Digital Lenses – Toggle between Narrow, Linear, Wide and SuperView.
- Capture Presets – Customise up to 10 presets, or use pre-loaded video presets for Standard, Activity, Cinematic and Slo-Mo shots for quick access to settings
- On-Screen Shortcuts – Customise your screen with the shortcuts to the features you use most.
- LiveBurst – Record the moments 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect 12-MP photo or share an amazing 4K 4:3 video.
- SuperPhoto with improved HDR – Capture killer 12-MP photos with improved HDR – while in motion or stationary – with reduced blur and serious detail even in low-light areas.
- Pro-Quality 4K60 + 1080p240 Video – Stunning video resolution, with studio-quality bit rate options of up to 100 Mbps and 8x slo-mo ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video.
- RAW in All Photo Modes – RAW mode delivers the most flexibility and is now available for time lapse and burst photos.
- Night Lapse Video – Capture amazing time lapse videos at night in 4K, 2.7K 4:3, 1440p or 1080p, all processed in-camera.
- Live Streaming in 1080p – Get HyperSmooth stabilisation as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later.
- Voice Control – Go hands-free with 14 voice commands in 15 languages and dialects; “GoPro, take a photo”.
- Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction – Enjoy crisper, clearer audio quality with a new front mic location and improved algorithms that actively filter out wind noise.
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 10 m.
- GPS-Enabled – Track speed, distance and elevation, then highlight them by adding stickers to videos in the GoPro app.
- Transfer to Phone – Your photos and videos transfer automatically when connected to the GoPro app for on-the-go sharing.
$799.95 AUD MAX Key Features:
- Built-In, Folding Mounting Fingers
- HERO + 360° Capture Modes – Switch between traditional HERO-style video and photo or immersive 360° footage.
- Max HyperSmooth – MAX gives you unbreakable stabilisation by using 180° capture as the ultimate buffer.
- In-Camera Horizon Levelling – In HERO mode, game-changing horizon levelling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look.
- Max TimeWarp – Warps time in both 360° and HERO modes. In HERO mode, TimeWarp automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting + change from slow capture to real time in one tap.
- Digital Lenses – Four digital lenses make selecting a field of view easy and include the ultra-immersive Max SuperView option.
- Max SuperView – Our widest, most immersive view yet can be applied using digital lenses.
- PowerPano – Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270° distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Perfect for capturing action shots and epic selfies.
- Premium Image Quality – 5.6K30 360° video, 1440p60 and 1080p60 HERO video, 5.5-MP HERO photos and 6.2-MP PowerPano photos.
- Premium 360° + Stereo Audio – Six mics capture true-to-life 360° audio and deliver the best stereo sound ever from a GoPro.
- Directional Audio – Directional audio in HERO mode lets you prioritise sound from either side of the camera, no matter which lens you’re using – perfect for vlogging.
- In-Camera Stitching – Offload and edit your 360° footage in the GoPro app.
- Reframe + the GoPro App – Use the new keyframe-based workflow in the app to easily Reframe 360° footage into traditional videos and photos you can play back, edit or share.
- 1080p Live Streaming – Capture in HERO mode and share while you’re there in HyperSmooth stabilisation.
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 5 m.
- Voice Control – 13 commands in 15 languages and dialects.
- GPS-Enabled – GPS captures your location, altitude and speed. Add GPS performance stickers to your videos in the GoPro app.
- Scene Detection – In HERO mode, MAX knows if you’re in the snow, at the beach, underwater and more.
- Auto Backup to the Cloud with GoPro PLUS – Offload videos and photos from MAX to the cloud – automatically.
Both the HERO8 and MAX are available for pre-order now on gopro.com/cameras – HERO8 orders will be rolling out from the 15th of October and MAX orders will be rolling out from the 24th of October