Leading smart home security device maker Arlo has announced they’re offering a wider range of choice for customers with their range of cameras and doorbells now supported by all major smart home platforms.
Users can now see a live feed from their Arlo products on smartwatches, phones, TVs and other smart home devices, no matter which Assistant they ask. Arlo is now compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, IFTTT and Samsung Smart Things.
Brad Little, Vice President & Managing Director APAC says they’re excited to continue to offer these innovations which ‘provide Arlo users with added features designed to offer the most robust and seamless smart home security experience possible’.
Each smart home platform offers slightly different features, though the option to view a feed from your cameras or video doorbells is standard across the range. Features for each platform include:
- Initiate two-way talk through compatible Echo and Fire TV devices to Arlo security cameras or video doorbells.
- Receive motion and video doorbell press announcements from Alexa, and view Arlo Video Doorbell live feeds directly from compatible Echo and Fire TV devices, to easily manage home security.
- Voice commands enable users to ask Alexa to show their live feed, view their last clip, or trigger motion detection from Arlo security cameras or video doorbells on compatible Echo and Fire TV devices.
- Receive proactive updates for seamless integration any time you add a new Arlo camera, base station, or doorbell to an already-linked Amazon account.
- Arm/Disarm individual Arlo base stations using an Alexa- or Arlo-configured voice PIN.
- Easily and securely view live streams from compatible Arlo cameras via the Home app or by asking Siri on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV.
- With HomeKit, users can create custom automations and scenes using the motion sensor from Arlo cameras. For example, when an Arlo camera detects something, users can trigger other HomeKit accessories to react and perform actions such as turning on the lights in the evening.
- Arlo users can receive motion notifications from Arlo cameras on iPhone or Apple Watch.
- Users can enjoy seamless Integration with Google using AppFlip to link Arlo and Google accounts faster. Integrate Arlo cameras or doorbells into the Google Ecosystem with just one or two clicks without having to re-enter credentials when signed into an Arlo account on the same mobile device.
- Receive doorbell alerts and view Arlo device live feeds directly from a Google Assistant-enabled device to easily manage home security through Google smart home devices.
- Receive enhanced live-video and audio streaming to see and hear visitors at the door through Google Nest Hub.
- Trigger light controls on Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Cameras through your Google Assistant-enabled device.
- Receive proactive updates for seamless integration any time you add a new Arlo camera, base station, or doorbell to an already-linked Google account.
If This Then That (IFTTT)
- Connect Arlo products to an IFTTT account to allow other smart devices in the home to pair and interact in the way users want.
- Utilize, create, and customize conditional if-then Applets to turn smart lights on when Arlo cameras or doorbells detect motion.
- Create a recipe using Arlo Secure to receive advanced notifications announced to an IFTTT account, and cross-trigger an Arlo camera with other smart home products when it detects a person, vehicle, animal, or package.
- Use a smart home device when Arlo is connected to an IFTTT account to announce motion or audio alerts, start and stop recording, or announce when an Arlo camera is low on battery.
- Receive motion and audio alerts and view live video streams from an Arlo camera or video doorbell directly on compatible TVs, tablets, phones, or refrigerators, now available with a more comprehensive list of compatible Arlo products.
- Enjoy improved stability and reduced latency for faster access to Arlo camera recordings or video doorbell feeds.
- Turn Arlo cameras on/off when arming or disarming the SmartThings Home Monitor.
- Cross-trigger recording on Arlo devices using a wide range of compatible SmartThings devices.
- Use an Arlo camera and Smart Hub to trigger a siren and turn lights on/off on compatible SmartThings smart home devices.
- Trigger smart home automation events through a compatible SmartThings device by pressing the Arlo video doorbell.
While all this is great for Arlo customers, the major players, Apple, Amazon, Google and Samsung are all invested in the future of interoperability of smart home devices with ‘Matter’. Previously known as Project Connected Home over IP, Matter is a proprietary, royalty-free home automation connectivity standard being developed by the major players so your smart home devices can interoperate, and even interact with different smart home platforms.
Unfortunately, it’s taking a long time for Matter to come to fruition, which is why it’s great to see companies like Arlo taking the bull by the horns and offering their customers this additional functionality across platforms.
Users can now use their Arlo cameras and video doorbells across the Amazon, Google, Apple, Samsung and IFTTT platforms, if you haven’t hooked yours up to one as yet, give it a shot.