Tech

Channel 7 Launching new channel – Could HD be coming?

Without fanfare a new TV channel is now available on your Free-to-air TV – in Sydney anyway.  Right now it’s just a slide with no audio, but very soon it could be anything from a new niche genre channel to a HD simulcast of the main Channel 7 signal.

Appearing on sets as Channel 76, it’s taking up a fair bit of the network’s spectrum for a slide (1.4mbps), EFTM can confirm the new channel is currently being broadcast in MPEG-4 which leads us to speculate that the network is about to announce and launch a simulcast of their main channel in HD as Channel 9 did less than one month ago.

Using their available spectrum, they could easily launch a whole new channel in MPEG-4 with new content such as 9Life or SBS Food Network, the difference being that would be available only to those with compatible MPEG-4 sets, which as we’ve seen from the 9HD experience is problematic for many.

The most likely scenario is that 7 is doing broadcast “head-end” tests for MPEG-4 broadcasts, in readiness for a HD Channel launch.

1450417210515-1121977759

I would speculate that if they announce a HD Simulcast, 7mate will drop back to SD and at the same time they could then launch a new niche content channel in MPEG2 – available to all Australian TVs, with the 7HD channel available only to newer MPEG-4 compatible channels.

A Channel 7 spokesperson confirmed to EFTM they were aware of the new channel broadcast, but at this time no formal announcement had been made regarding new or HD channel launches.

8 Comments

8 Comments

1. laurie

December 19, 2015 at 5:30 pm

haha thanks Nine for forcing Seven to go HD this must be hurting Seven pride because they were beaten to the punch by Nine

2. Michael

December 21, 2015 at 11:46 pm

This channel is for the tennis things will change after that
    7sd 70HD mpeg2 71 sd 72 sd 7mate sd then a sports type channel 76 HD mpeg4, my guess

3. Al.

January 13, 2016 at 10:04 am

I have not watched a minute of channel 7 since 9HD started. How nice is it to watch clear pictures again?

4. Patrick

March 6, 2016 at 10:07 am

Is anyone having problems with 76Flix that it constantly pixelates. All our other channels don’t have this problem. I’ve spoken to a few people and they have the same problem. Is it the Mhz that it is using that is causing this?

5. Mark

March 13, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Patrick, ever since 7flix started a few weeks ago, all of my channel 7 stations in Sydney are pixelating – this never happened before. Perhaps they lowered the power transmitted for each of their channels to add this new one. My antenna in Cremorne points to Kings Cross which is not far away across the harbour so I should be getting a nice strong signal. It’s now unwatchable so we only watch the other non-7 channels which are perfect.

• Mark

March 24, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Correction: my antenna cable was faulty with a bad connection hidden inside a wall. Mr Antenna found the problem and fixed it within 15 minutes, and now the signal strength and quality are 100% for all channels. I don’t have any pixellation now – Channel 7 is crystal clear.

6. DC

March 24, 2016 at 10:12 am

Ch 7 look like they are having major problems squeezing in all of the SD channels into their stream to make room for HD simulcast of their main channel. 76 also pixelates on my Topfield PVR and may well also on my Samsung TV, but I rarely watch that channel “live” so I don’t really know.

The issue seems to be that with things like the horse racing channel added to the other channels in the stream that they are making major compromises on quality to find bandwidth for all of these different channels.

7. martin