Tech

Foxtel finally adds Chromecast support for the Foxtel App

You could say “we asked, they listened”, or you could say “better late than never” – whatever your view, Foxtel Cable and Satellite customers can finally stream their Foxtel content to a big-screen using Chromecast.

It’s crazy to think that it wasn’t possible, but yep, back when their streaming service Foxtel Now launched to much fanfare with the availability of Chromecast support – the standard Foxtel App (formally known as Foxtel Go) was not updated to allow it.

No reason was ever given, though Foxtel sources have told EFTM it was not a rights issue, but – the crisis is now over.

The Foxtel App has been updated and there, in all it’s glory, is the Chromecast icon ready to stream.

UPDATE: It seems clear from reader feedback that the icon/Chromecast option is only available to those folks who are already a “Multi-room” subscriber.  Seems crazy, as it’s just another way to drive the lower paying customers to the streaming Foxtel Now service – but perhaps that’s what they want.  We’ve reached out to Foxtel for clarification.

What this means is that the “extra box” many people consider – which comes at a price – might no longer be required. You can have a Chromecast on any or all of your TVs and control what you see with your smartphone in the Foxtel App.

It might not be enough to get Now customers back to Cable or Satellite, but it could be enough to stop the churn.

h/t: Matthew & Tom!

Trev is a Technology Commentator, Dad, Speaker and Rev Head.

He produces and hosts two popular podcasts, EFTM and Two Blokes Talking Tech. He also appears on over 50 radio stations across Australia weekly, and is the resident Tech Expert on Channel 9’s Today Show each day and appears regularly on A Current Affair.

Father of three, he is often found down in his Man Cave.

Like this post? Buy Trev a drink!

Foxtel finally adds Chromecast support for the Foxtel App
12 Comments

12 Comments

1. Andrew Caple

September 7, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Hmm … my app updated yesterday but I don’t see the Chromecast icon on Android.

2. Ben

September 7, 2018 at 8:46 pm

Nope. Updated to newest version of Go app….no Chromecast option.

3. Bob

September 7, 2018 at 9:32 pm

What OS App version? 4.1 on Android and 4.0.5 on iOS have HD but still no cast.

4. peart

September 7, 2018 at 11:31 pm

“What this means is that the “extra box” many people consider – which comes at a price – might no longer be required.”
    Err, you still need an extra box because Chromecast is only enabled for people with a multiroom setup! LOL.

5. James

September 8, 2018 at 1:36 am

Only added for multi room subscribers which is completely pointless as those customers can already watch on big screens in multiple rooms.

6. Gav

September 8, 2018 at 6:51 am

Not sure if this is true. I’m a cable customer with 2 set top boxes. There is no Chromecast function on Foxtel go app and when I try Foxtel now app it says I’m a set top box subscriber and need a separate subscription.

Am I missing something or can you only Chromecast via the Foxtel now app?

• Trevor Long

September 10, 2018 at 10:37 pm

100% in the app for Multiroom subscribers – launch a program in the app, icon should appear.

Also, make sure you’ve got the updated app with the new GO logo

7. James Hector

September 8, 2018 at 8:42 am

It’s only available to customers with multi-room. But they did add HD which is something…

8. Jonathan

September 8, 2018 at 11:48 am

Thanks for the update, I have mine and my sister’s logins, she has 3 x boxes, I have 1. I log in as me, I can not cast. I log in as her, I can. Hope it is just a bug that they will fix. Also, there’s no Cast option in the PC App 🙁

9. Todd

September 9, 2018 at 9:14 pm

So in short Trevor, Foxtel is saying if you pay additional you can cast. Think it is time to walk away from Foxtel arrogance. We already pay enough for our Platinum HD.

10. Matt

September 10, 2018 at 3:27 pm

11. Roger

September 10, 2018 at 8:28 pm

They need to update their Foxtel Play Smart TV app to HD. Shouldn’t have to pay for Chromecast device.