It’s been a big year for music and in the brave new world of streaming the charts aren’t about who’s buying your song – it’s all about who’s streaming it.
These days we can listen to the same song over and over again – in essence, that’s a sign of a song’s popularity.
Apple now owns Shazam, and have released some interesting data about the most “shazamed” songs – that means it’s a song someone has heard, and really wanted to know the name of.
Aussie Tones And I earned a stunning title this year with “Dance Monkey” becoming the most “Shazamed” song on any given day – not just in 2019, but for all time.
Across 2019, the most Shazamed songs were :
- “bad guy” – Billie Eilish
- “Someone You Loved” – Lewis Capaldi
- “Dance Monkey” – Tones And I
- “Calma (Remix)” – Pedro Capó & Farruko
- “Piece Of Your Heart” – Meduza Feat. Goodboys
- “Con Calma” – Daddy Yankee Feat. Snow
- “Señorita” – Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello
- “Old Town Road” – Lil Nas X
- “Sweet But Psycho” – Ava Max
- “Giant” – Calvin Harris & Rag’n’Bone Man
Overall, when it comes to actually listening to the songs, let’s look at what we streamed on Apple Music:
The most-streamed album of the year was Billie Eilish – WHEN WE FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?
When it comes to individual songs, the list looks like this:
- Lil Nas X – Old Town Road (feat. Billy Ray Cyrus)
- Post Malone & Swae Lee – Sunflower
- Ariana Grande – thank u, next
- Ariana Grande – 7 rings
- Billie Eilish – bad guy
- Post Malone – Wow.
- Meek Mill – Going Bad (featuring Drake)
- Halsey – Without Me
- Gunna & Lil Baby – Drip Too Hard
- Travis Scott – SICKO MODE
Among Spotify subscribers, the list was slightly different.
- “Señorita” – Camila Cabello, Shawn Mendes
- “bad guy” – Billie Eilish
- “Sunflower” – Post Malone, Swae Lee
- “7 Rings” – Ariana Grande
- “Old Town Road – Remix” – Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
Unsure as to why Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello didn’t crack it into the Apple Music top 10 given its success on Spotify. Interesting one.
As far as Aussies go on Spotify, the Hilltop Hoods were the most streamed, followed by 5SOS, Dean Lewis and Tones and I.
But how’s this for data – Hobart, Darwin and Melbourne – you’re all unique you realise?
Spotify’s Most Streamed Tracks by City
- Melbourne, Victoria: “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish
- Brisbane, Queensland: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” – Post Malone and Swae Lee
- Sydney, New South Wales: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” – Post Malone and Swae Lee
- Perth, Western Australia: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” – Post Malone and Swae Lee
- Adelaide, South Australia: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” – Post Malone and Swae Lee
- Canberra, Australian Capital Territory: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” – Post Malone and Swae Lee
- Hobart, Tasmania: “Pure Brown Noise – Loopable with no fade” – Erik Eriksson, White Noise Baby Sleep, White Noise for Babies
- Townsville, Queensland: “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” – Post Malone and Swae Lee
- Darwin, Northern Territory: “Baby Sleep Shhh: The Perfect Settling Tool for Babies!” – littleONES