I’ve only just started shooting in 4K, I don’t have an 8K TV, there isn’t really any decent supply of 8K content – but that doesn’t stop Aussie innovation! Melbourne based Blackmagic Design has announced the world’s first 12K camera!
Available to the film industry later this year at a price just shy of $20k this isn’t about your home movies, or your YouTube videos, this is about high end film and TV shows, mixing filmed content with visual effects in a full 12K workflow.
Full HD is 1,920 x 1,080 pixels – just over 2 million pixels on a screen.
The 12K resolution of the Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K is 12,288 x 6,480 is 79.6 million pixels. That’s a lot of detail folks.
Grant Petty, CEO and Founder of Blackmagic Design “With Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K we have advanced imaging technology into a new generation where new styles of shooting will be possible. Its not just the 12K sensor, but there is so many other innovations in this camera. From the Generation 5 Color Science, the in sensor scaling, new symmetrical color pattern, full RGB quality and of course the 12K resolution, it’s going to be exciting to see what DOPs do creatively with this technology!”
Amazing. Go Aussies.
For the nerds, some additional details of the camera:
- 12,288 x 6480 12K Super 35 sensor.
- Use for feature films, VFX and high end TVC’s.
- 14 stops of dynamic range and native 800 ISO.
- New Blackmagic RAW for real time 12K editing.
- Blackmagic RAW optimized for Metal, CUDA and OpenCL.
- Generation 5 Color Science with new film curve.
- Shoot up to 60 fps in 12K, 110 fps at 8K and 220 fps at 4K.
- Dual card CFast recording at up to 900MB/s.
- PL mount included, EF and F mounts available.
- SuperSpeed USB-C for recording to external disks.
- Includes DaVinci Resolve Studio for post production.
- Compatible with new Blackmagic URSA Mini Recorder.
Web: Blackmagic Design