Sustainability is becoming more and more important to everyday people and companies are taking notice and looking to get on the front foot themselves. Today Belkin has released their plan to combat climate change and it’s an ambitious one — to be carbon neutral by 2025.
Not only are Belkin achieving their sustainability benchmarks for 2020 but they are setting the bar even higher for their 2025 commitment by aligning their goals with some of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. These include climate action, responsible consumption and production, and peace, justice and strong institutions.
So far Belkin have recycled 22,667 tonnes of electronics as well as 8,988 tonnes of packaging thereby reducing their carbon footprint. They also have a wind farm to offset 100% of its US warehouse’s power consumption and are improving material sourcing and usage. Plastic within the packaging of their cables is also being reduced by 90%, 48% for wireless charging pads and 81% for wireless charging stands.
“While we take pride in our achievements and sustainability efforts over the past four decades, we’re always looking ahead, setting new goals, and reaching for higher standards,” said Steve Malony, CEO, Belkin International. “Our organization is made up of people who want to leave the planet a better place for our children and future generations. We remain forever and authentically passionate about renewing our commitment to a circular economy and carbon neutrality and continuing our pledge to support the Paris Agreement.”
Their new 2025 Sustainability Goals include:
Climate Action (UN Goal 13) – Belkin pledges to take urgent action to combat climate change and its impact.
- Belkin signed America is All In to acknowledge its commitment to the Paris agreement.
- Belkin will become 100% carbon neutral in scope 2 emissions by 2025.
- Belkin will also work towards carbon neutrality in Scope 1 & 3 emissions.
Packaging and E-Waste (UN Goal 12) – Belkin pledges to ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Belkin aims to reduce 25% single use plastic packaging by the end of 2025 based on its 2019 benchmark.
- Belkin will use 30% recycled content on all plastic packaging where removal of plastic packaging is not viable.
Human Rights (UN Goal 16) – Belkin strives to promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies.
- 100% of all Belkin suppliers must comply with our Supplier Code of Conduct.
- 100% of all Belkin suppliers must complete a social compliance audit every 2 years.
As stated in their Sustainability Report, Belkin has established its Sustainability Committee to keep the company accountable to its objectives. You can head over to Belkin and read the report for yourself but it is great to see such a large company make a large commitment to climate change. After all, we only have one Earth and one day our kids will inherit it from us.