A product that could perhaps be seen as born out of the pandemic, the new AI-Micro from RØDE is in some ways rather simple, but versatile enough to suit many use cases for a high quality audio experience, live or recorded.
The device itself is just a small little interface with three 3.5mm connectors and a USB-C connection. The USB-C connection can be plugged into a Laptop or smartphone, or with a USB-C to Lightning be used directly with an iOS device.
Two of the 3.5mm connections are for microphone inputs, while the third is for headphones.
In a sign that this is made for anyone, not just the audio savvy, the 3.5mm inputs are auto-sensing so it doesn’t matter if you use a TRS or a TRRS connector, the microphone will work. If you don’t know what this means, then you are precisely the reason they made it this way.
Two really simple use-cases here.
The first is remote recording. Using a smartphone you can have two lapel microphones connected and record a simple interview in high quality. This will also work well for any apps that utilise the lightning input for microphone, allowing you to use two microphones instead of just one.
For those doing lots of Zoom calls, or even live TV, the RØDE AI-Micro will allow you to use a lapel microphone and a discreet earpiece to have a much more professional look than wearing wireless headphones that don’t really fit the bill.
KEY FEATURES OF THE AI-MICRO:
- Ultra-compact dual-channel interface for recording high-quality audio on computers and mobile devices
- Compatible with virtually any microphone with a 3.5mm output, including RØDE VideoMics, lavaliers, wireless systems, and stereo microphones
- Auto-sensing inputs for connecting TRS or TRRS microphones
- High-power headphone output for crystal-clear, zero-latency audio monitoring and playback
- Connects seamlessly to computers, smartphones and tablets via its universal USB output (USB-A, USB-C and Lightning cables supplied)
- Compatible with the entire RØDE app suite for expanded features and functionality, on-the-go configuration, and broadcast-quality recording on any device
- Designed and made in RØDE’s state-of-the-art facilities in Sydney, Australia
“With the AI-Micro, we set out to create the perfect solution for recording high-quality audio with a smartphone, tablet or computer using a 3.5mm microphone,” says RØDE CEO Damien Wilson. “The intention was to take the core design of our hugely popular SC6-L interface for iPhone and iPad and make it compatible with more devices and adaptable to a wider range of recording applications. By adding a universal USB output, enhanced microphone inputs, and compatibility with RØDE’s powerful app suite, we have absolutely achieved that. The AI-Micro is a must-have for everyone from content creators in need of an ultra-portable recording solution to professionals looking for an easy way to capture great sound while working from home.”
The AI-Micro will be $79 USD, so we hope it lands close to $99 here in Australia.