Late last year Netgear announced firmware upgrades to several of their modems and modem/routers to include the Circle with Disney parental control app, now at JB HiFi you can buy the original Circle with Disney to add to any existing network.
At $169 it’s a great deal, though there is of course a monthly subscription to manage mobile devices on mobile networks but it’s outstanding value given all that the device and associated apps offer.
I tested it out on my Netgear modem last year and it proved to be a very simple way to implement time and content limits on the kids devices.
The Circle with Disney device is a small cube that requires only power and a network connection – plugging into your existing modem or router to provide a set of filters and controls on your existing network.
Once configured the Circle with Disney has a long list of features:
- You can filter the type of content available by family member
- Someone’s in trouble? Pause their connection, blocking the internet for one child rather than the whole family.
- Time Limits
- Set time limits per day child by child
- Someone’s been a good boy? Give them more time in the day, or a later bed-time.
- Look at what the kids have been doing on their device – right down to the app.
- Set a “no internet time” on any given day.
- Shut off the internet for the kids devices from a set time at night until a time you choose in the morning.
- See which websites have been viewed and blocked on a device by device basis.
It’s comprehensive, and entirely app based – easy to setup, easy to use, a great investment for any family!
Trev is a Technology Commentator, Dad, Speaker and Rev Head.
He produces and hosts two popular podcasts, EFTM and Two Blokes Talking Tech. He also appears on over 50 radio stations across Australia weekly, and is the resident Tech Expert on Channel 9’s Today Show each day and appears regularly on A Current Affair.
Father of three, he is often found down in his Man Cave.