Tech

Telstra adds data as a surprise for Bigpond customers

Telstra is the biggest ISP in this country, and they’ve just done something rather out of the ordinary – they’ve given bonus data to existing Bigpond Customers. No press release, no fanfare, just an email to each customer.

One of my biggest gripes with Telcos and Internet providers over many years has been their ability to offer better deals, but not switch existing customers to those deals. Instead, the customer has to pick up the phone or go online to find out if there’s a better deal available. Browsing the Telstra website today and it appears they’ve gone one step further and offered a new plan only to existing customers – looking after existing customers is number two on the “biggest gripes” list – something that rarely happens basically.

I’m a Bigpond Cable customer, lucky to have the HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial) “Pay TV” cable out the front of my place.  A year ago I upped my monthly data allowance to 500GB because there was a month where I smashed through my 250GB by downloading every season and every episode of Breaking Bad on iTunes.

This week, Telstra sent an email “What a nice surprise feels like”

telstra-bonus-2

For me, it was double – I’ve now got 1,000 GB of data to chew through each month.

telstra-bonus-1

For smaller plans, it was more than double:

Logging onto the Telstra “My Account” page and I confirmed it wasn’t a scam:
telstra-bonus-3

This was the real deal.

While my plan had not been updated online yet (waiting for my billing cycle to roll over), as I dug through the available plan change options, it was clear that the next step “down” in data was now 500GB, which was previously 250GB.  There is also no mention of the data being “Bonus” data in the plan inclusions, so it could be that this is ongoing and not for a set period of 12 months as happens a lot with Mobile Data plans.

EFTM contacted Telstra, who let us know “Recently Telstra started topping up the data allowances for our consumer fixed broadband customers and aim to reach more than 2.5 million customers in the coming months”

As it turns out, the additional data will be applied to all consumer ADSL, Cable and NBN plans.   The extra gigabytes are a permanent addition to plans. And get this – as a bigger surprise from Telstra – “No conditions we’ve kept it easy”

You might not pay much attention to their “Thanks” program of late which has seen concert and movie tickets available to customers, but “Telstra want to say thank you to customers by offering more value on a service that customers tell us is becoming more and more integral to their life every day”

Turns out I wasn’t the only one who doubted it “This has surprised some of our customers but we want them to know it’s genuine!”

So there you go. Thank you Telstra, it was a nice little surprise. No doubt others will agree!

Are you a Telstra Customer?  What data boost did you get??

46 Comments

46 Comments

1. John Brogan

March 26, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I’m on the 200GB Cable Ultimate plan, but haven’t been offered any increase yet. It sounds like they’re rolling it out, so hopefully my turn will come.

2. Gary Lum

March 26, 2015 at 4:44 pm

I’m with BigPond on a 200 GB plan. It’s bundled with the home phone, mobile and about three data SIM cards. I’m yet to receive an e-mail. Last year I ended up using the three free upgrades offered so hopefully I’ll also be offered a free bump. That would be amazing and will certainly see me remain loyal to Telstra.

3. Adam Brown

March 26, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Nope nothing changed on mine yet.

4. Gina

March 26, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh – nothing! For journos only? And totally agree with you btw on the failure to look after existing customers. Even if you ask!

• Trevor Long

March 27, 2015 at 11:31 am

No! it’s for all 2.5m customers! rolling out over the next week or so

• Gina

March 27, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Wow. Last time I asked for more bandwidth the offers were 1990s woeful. Looking forward to it!!!

5. Barry Duncan

March 26, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Same. I’m on a 500gb plan but haven’t been offered any increase yet. I’m waiting patiently though so all is well.

6. Dianne

March 27, 2015 at 12:27 am

I haven’t been given any extra from Telstra either.

7. T Dog

March 27, 2015 at 10:01 am

I’m on a 200Gb plan and it still hasn’t been added to my account. I asked Telstra last night via chat and they said they’re rolling this out between 26th and 30th. Hope it’s sorted in a few days worst case.

8. Jane

March 29, 2015 at 10:10 am

They doubled my 25gb. It was a very nice surprise. My daughter is waiting impatiently for hers now.

9. Deb

March 29, 2015 at 10:52 pm

I happened to notice a tweet on saturday night (28/3) I queried the tweeter, checked my email and surprise!!! The notice had only been in a couple of hours – an extra 300gb on my 200gb & home ph plan. I’ll have to stay put now 🙂

10. Rob

March 30, 2015 at 3:08 am

I was on 200 gig adel and mine was increased to 500 gig

11. Jane

March 30, 2015 at 8:49 am

I was on 50GB and now have 100GB – thought it was linked to the fact that I’d had to use one of my free top-ups last month and then looking around for a new unlimited plan ! Good on Telstra – this will keep me loyal for a while longer !!

12. Adam Brown

March 30, 2015 at 9:30 am

Still nothing so far for me.. No email or change on my account…

13. Johnny

March 30, 2015 at 5:26 pm

mine has just gone from 200GB to 500GB. Nice work Telstra.

14. Mofjet

March 30, 2015 at 5:37 pm

I was on 50GB, and was thinking about upping my allowance a couple of weeks back, as we had been skating close to the limit. Then I looked the other day to see this months usage, and saw 35% of 100GB. Wondered if I had inadvertently changed my plan when I was just browsing, but checked the cost associated, and it hadn’t changed. I don’t recall the email, but pleased nonetheless. Thanks Telstra!

15. Moh

March 30, 2015 at 5:42 pm

It’s only for customers on old plans ..I called and was told I was not eligible. ….and I spend in access of 400.00 on a personal account every month.

• Trevor Long

March 30, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Mate, seriously – $400 a month – there is NO personal internet plan worth that much money… fess up.

• moh

March 30, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Read carefully Trevor spend 400 on personal account which includes other services

16. David Thodey

March 30, 2015 at 7:16 pm

The bonus data for fixed broadband offers are because we value our customers – they are definitely available to our existing customers – we are working to find ways to make our offers attractive, and recognise customers who have been with us for a number of years. These have been developed by our Telstra team and represent our ongoing commitment to respond to the needs of our customers. David Thodey

• Trevor Long

March 30, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Hard to argue with the value these new data limits provide to existing customers. Great Move. As a Telstra Bigpond customer – thanks David!

• Gina

March 30, 2015 at 7:31 pm

No email still, but just checked my account, and there it is! Thanks Telstra, and thanks to David and his team for awarding loyalty and improving customer service. A very impressive initiative. Kudos!

17. Mack

March 30, 2015 at 7:56 pm

I was on 50GB and was given an massive extra 300GB. Now 350GB total.

18. im going to be a pirate now

March 30, 2015 at 9:06 pm

was on 500gb now 1tb,

19. Adam Brown

March 31, 2015 at 9:07 am

Still nothing. I received an SMS to tell me to reply to the email that was sent but no email. I’ve checked my junk folder & nothing

• Gina

March 31, 2015 at 11:40 am

Check your account details? That’s where I found mine!

• Adam Brown

March 31, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Sorry I should have said that I checked my account as well. Still nothing

20. dianne leetham

March 31, 2015 at 1:46 pm

There will be a catch some where. Reading this web page last week SAYING about it being used as a personal hot spot Telstra with everyone’s internet. I do not like that idea as they will be able to access your information, deleting files, and having viruses and making us paying for other people to use our internet. Its not on Telstra

• Trevor Long

March 31, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Dianne, I’m sorry, but what complete and utter bollocks.

Why must there be a catch? If anything this is Telstra catching UP on the market and reasonable Data allowances, more likely this is a realisation that under an NBN Telstra MUST be more competitive.

As for the hotspots, please buy a tin-foil hat. The idea is to turn every Telstra connection into a hotspot. That is a separate network, people can’t access your files, information or anything. So please, think before you speak and enough with the scare mongering. TL

21. dianne

March 31, 2015 at 1:49 pm

They should also include this deal With wireless broadband

• Trevor Long

March 31, 2015 at 1:51 pm

On that we agree! But I think baby steps basically:)

22. John

March 31, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I’m on a home bundle and have gone from 200gb to 500gb

23. Rod

March 31, 2015 at 7:11 pm

What about wireless broadband in country areas? I cannot get fixed broadband so I pay a whopping $150/month for 25 gig of wireless broadband. An extra 25 gig would almost make the cost and slow connection worthwhile!

• Trevor Long

April 1, 2015 at 10:21 am

You can only hope.. I’d suggest more to come!

24. Adam Brown

April 1, 2015 at 11:01 am

I’ve been told that “There are only certain plans eligible for bonus data for internet.” and seeing as though I am on a contract with a home bundle including my mobile that I am unable to get the boost… So still can’t get a bloody straight answer.

25. Wesley

April 2, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Yeah right, double the data… I am an existing customer have been for a few years, a colleague of mine got the deal but I haven’t!! I’m on a 500gb per month home deal.

26. GnR4life12

April 2, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Got an extra 500 gb on top of my 500 gb thats 1TB!!!!! Love it

27. CharlieInfamous

April 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm

April 6th and still nothing for me.. All my friends have got theirs doubled except for me and i’m the only one who uses all the data every month so getting a double would be perfect for me. Anyone know why i havn’t got it yet??

28. AlexMacca

April 13, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Me too, here it is April 13, and still no sign of the extra data, most of my friends in the area with Telstra already have theirs, but I seemed to have missed so far.

29. Cheryl

April 20, 2015 at 1:53 pm

We called telstra as we still haven’t recieved a bonus as yet and were told because we were bundled, wouldn’t be receiving it. Currently trying to find another provider as we run through the 500 gb per month just about every month with our 4 teenagers. I think telstra should have made it the same across the board for all broadband users.

30. Mick C.

May 1, 2015 at 10:21 am

I am on a 100gb plan and after hearing about this deal I rang Telstra and asked when my plan would recieve a boost and was told that because I am on a current plan that I am not eligible for a boost! I will not be staying with them when this plan runs out. This is not the first time that this type of thing has happened to me since I have been with them but it will be the last.

31. Aaron

May 10, 2015 at 9:58 am

It’s bull I still only have 500g

32. James

July 29, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Old thread I know, but in case someone finds it with a search about Telstra doubling data the way I did – this is legit. I just had data boosted from 500GB to 1TB – there’s not enough hours in the day to use all this! But appreciated nonetheless

33. Krishna

August 7, 2015 at 11:30 pm

My fixed wireless NBN data allowance went up as of July from 200G to 500G. I’m in country NSW and stoked that we’ve not been forgotten for once.

34. Mike

May 24, 2016 at 12:11 pm

That’s great to hear Telstra doing this, however, for me, their degraded infrastructure won’t support fixed line, not other suppliers available including NBN, so we are stuck with Bigpond Mobile Broadband. The most we can get is a 25GB data plan ($175/mth) which isn’t much for 2 high school students. Telstra has been very non-responsive on providing extra allowances for Bigpond Mobile Broadband plans.