5G and Wi-Fi 6 are the big networking news for new products in 2020, and at CES in Las Vegas Linksys has unveiled their new range of networking devices with 5G support, and/or Wi-Fi 6 on-board.
As well as the new Linksys 5G product range, they’ve announced a new Dual-Band Mesh WiFi 6 router and Velop WiFi 6 system.
The range of Linksys 5G products announced at the show include a mesh gateway, mobile hotspot, modem and outdoor router. There’s not a huge amount of information available on the devices as yet, but here’s what we have:
- Linksys 5G Mobile Hotspot – harness the best performing wireless technology and WiFi standard with 5G and WiFi 6 for fast, seamless connectivity anywhere; with an added USB port for Quick Charge abilities, the 5G Mobile Hotspot ensures devices are powered up and optimally connected at home or on-the-go
- Linksys 5G Modem – access 5G broadband speeds at home; add Intelligent Mesh™ Technology with Linksys Velop systems to envelop entire home with uninterrupted high-speed connectivity
- Linksys Velop 5G Mesh Gateway – conveniently combines the power of 5G networks with flexibility of Linksys Intelligent Mesh™ Technology and reliable AX/WiFi 6 in a two-in-one modem and router solution; it also works with other Linksys Velop systems to expand mesh coverage and blanket an entire home in optimal WiFi
- Linksys 5G Outdoor Router – seamlessly tap into Millimeter Wave 5G network and 10Gbps wired connection for superfast internet connections.
If you’re lamenting the lack of 5G in your area, you’ll be more interested in the new Dual-Band Mesh WiFi 6 router and Velop WiFi 6 system announced today as well. We have a little more information on these devices :
- Dual-Band Mesh WiFi 6 router (MR9600)
- WiFi 6 capabilities for 4x faster speeds, more WiFi range and increased capacity
- Built-in Linksys Intelligent Mesh™ Technology to expand seamless WiFi coverage with Velop nodes or Velop mesh routers as WiFi needs grow
- 8-stream WiFi 6 technology with speeds up to 6000 Mbps (simultaneous Dual-Band – 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz)
- Velop WiFi 6 system (AX4200)
- Affordable WiFi 6 mesh system with built-in Linksys Intelligent Mesh™ Technology, Bluetooth capabilities, and advanced security settings
- Coverage of up to 3,000 square feet per node
- 8-stream WiFi 6 technology with speeds up to 4200 Mbps (Tri-Band – 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz, 5 Ghz)
Linksys hasn’t announced any pricing or dates for release of their new equipment. The 5G devices may need to wait until the rollout of 5G in Australia reaches a broader base for the launch to be worthwhile, but we’ll hopefully be seeing their new Dual-Band Mesh WiFi 6 router and Velop WiFi 6 system soon.
EFTM’s coverage of CES 2020 is supported by Samsung, Hisense, Sony, Intel, Swann, Uber, Vodafone, LG & Dell - full details of our commercial interests and disclosures are here